Tuesday 25 September 2012

My eugenic way home

I always opposed any forms of human eugenism and, especially, those that justify political systems. However I was forced to rethink my ideas today on my way home.
So, just imagine this scenario: 10pm in Edinburgh and this typically Mediterranean guy is going home after having a couple of drinks. Now the guy, that you may have guessed it's me, is freezing to death even though he / me is wearing his warmest winter jacket, gloves, etc. The wind, the cold, the rain... I thought that I would be lucky to arrive home alive! I stop in a traffic light and there is this Scott wearing a tshirt and a sleeveless jacket on his bike. Was the guy freezing and turning blue? No! The guy was texting someone on his mobile.
What does a Mediterranean guy like me thinks? This guy is playing with the wrong marbles!
Now crossing the Meadows I saw something amazing: this couple jogging with shorts and tshirts! Yes, it was night, yes it was freezing cold, raining and I almost fell from my bike a couple of times with the wind! Right after that another guy cycles past me in his rugby shorts and sleeveless jersey and after that I see another woman jogging in clothes I would find more appropriate for a sub-tropical weather than to this weather.
Of course, at that time I was thinking: "I bet they wouldn't resist five years living in a sub-tropical island with 40Âșc and 97% humidity!" But then I thought in the days working by the pool... Days in which my biggest concern was to drink enough water not to dehydrate. I think they could survive that!
And I concluded that the Scotts and I are not made of the same genetics... Call them superior race, call them what you want, I just know that they are certainly not like me!

No comments:

Post a Comment