Thursday 22 May 2014

European elections II

I already voted! I was really excited about it because:
1) I generally love to vote;
2) It was the 1st time I voted in the UK - it made me feel more part of this country;
3) I hadn't voted since 2011 (general elections) and at that time I was living in China and had to vote in the Consulate;
4) I teach EU Law, so this is also a professional thing.
Now differences from voting back home:
1) There were lots of political posters at the entrance of the poling station! Back home that's forbidden: there can't be any political advertisement around the poling station. I think in a radius of some 50m or something like that. I have no idea why it is forbidden, though... It didn't shock me at all seeing the posters there. It also didn't influence me, as I already knew very well who to vote for.
2) There was only one lady at the desk. Back home there is one representative from each party. This made sense after the revolution, when everyone hated everyone and democracy was still consolidating. Nowadays it doesn't make much sense: it's a waste of money and human resources. Just put an honest person there, make that person take an oath and then trust the person, like they do here. Maybe they're afraid not to be able to find enough honest people in the country for all the polling stations...
3) She didn't ask for my ID.  I have no idea how they control if someone takes a few polling cards and votes more than once. I guess that's because British don't have a national ID. If they don't drive nor have a passport, there is no document to prove their identity. This is something I find funny in this country. Now, any British would reply that a national ID is an infringement on one's civil rights and liberties. Some things we, continentals, just have to learn to accept in these islanders. Having no national ID card together with driving on the wrong side and using the imperial measurement systems makes them so happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment