Wednesday 3 April 2013

The new British Class System

If there's something Brits love even more than tea with milk and sugar (which is still something I couldn't get used to, for me tea should be drank pure) it's a good, well stratified class system. Historically that has to do with the Normand invasion and having the upper class speak French and the lower Saxon. Until this day they still don't speak the same language... 
But now BBC decided to innovate and create a new class system because they considered the old one to be outdated. I think I will understand BBC when I'm able to enjoy tea with milk and sugar...
Now, BBC does not want Brits to feel lost and not know where they belong. As such they provide an online test so that Brits are aware of their place in society. They brilliantly named it the class calculator.
Now, this calculator was extremely useful to me. I didn't know my place in the British society. This might be due to the fact that I'm not British... But now, after a short test with only half a dozen questions I know what I am in this beautiful kingdom:
Emergent service workers - a new, young, urban group which is relatively poor but has high social and cultural capital
I can't say that I was thrilled at being described as an "emergent" and "relatively poor" (though this last one is true) but I can't hide the fact that I quite enjoy that I have a "high social and cultural capital".

No comments:

Post a Comment